Help: MKV to MP4 Muxing

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

willwinuk
Amateur
Amateur

Help: MKV to MP4 Muxing

Post by willwinuk » Tue May 31, 2011 12:45 pm

Hi,
Sorry if this has been asked before, but how do you mux an MKV to a MP4 in MediaCoder?
Last edited by willwinuk on Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Re: Help: MMV to MP4 Muxing

Post by meRobs » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:11 pm

If you mean convert an MKV file (or any other) to an MP4 file without specifying the video and audio formats for the output, then I suggest you try the MP4 settings in the Encoding Guide, under Tips ( Guides (link below).
This would be a good starting point.

If you have any problems with this, please, when you reply, indicate the build of MediaCoder you are using and give detail on the Tab settings you use.
Have you checked out the Tips & Guides for MediaCoder? Try: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Also, get older builds at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download

willwinuk
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Help: MKV to MP4 Muxing

Post by willwinuk » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:29 am

I mean like what MKVtools (http://www.emmgunn.com/mokgvm2dvd/mokgvmhome.html) and MP4tools does, where if it can it passes the video through from the mkv to an mp4 instead of converting it so it is much quicker.
btw I’m using the latest version of MediaCoder.

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Post by meRobs » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:21 am

So, have you tried the MP4 settings in the Encoding Guide?

If you don't wish to give details of what you are doing (settings, etc), then we are limited in how we can help and you should experiment.
After all, experimentation is needed if you are to use MediaCoder successfully. This is why I asked you to try the Encodig Guide.

If you want to pass the video through from MKV to MP4, then, simply select "Copy Video" on the video tab.
This will work only if the video format is compatible with MP4.
Have you checked out the Tips & Guides for MediaCoder? Try: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Also, get older builds at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download

willwinuk
Amateur
Amateur

Post by willwinuk » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:53 am

Oh ok, you use copy video, thanks.

ysbinns
Amateur
Amateur

Post by ysbinns » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:03 am

I convert a lot of MKV files to MP4 using MediaCoder 4740. I've had problems with the newer versions. I use Copy Video with either Copy Audio or I convert to audio to LC-AAC 2ch. Most of the time 4740 will work.

willwinuk
Amateur
Amateur

Post by willwinuk » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:20 am

Cool thanks :)

ysbinns
Amateur
Amateur

Post by ysbinns » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:41 pm

I previously mentioned I use build 4170. But I use it for more than MKV files. So I decided to test the latest build that I have installed which is build 5158. I only used MKV files for testing. I have 6 files that use video H264. For audio they use LCAAC 2ch, LCAAC 6ch, AC3 2ch, AC3 6ch, MP3 2ch, and Vorbis 2ch. I have 1 file that uses video Xvid and audio AC3 2ch.

On the Video tab I use Copy Video and Auto Selects. On the Audio tab I use Copy Audio and Auto Selects. All output MP4 were good files except for the LCAAC 6ch file. That was a 0.0 mb file.

So it is pretty good at creating MP4 files from MKV files using the Copy commands. And it's quite fast. I have not tried the newest build 5160.

ysbinns
Amateur
Amateur

Post by ysbinns » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:25 am

One last comment on converting MKV to MP4. If you are like me you have found many files that have low or high volume. I use audio Gain in the Sound tab to adjust the volume. This function does not work when you use Copy Audio. You must transcode the audio into a specific format to enable the audio Gain. I used the test files from my previous post.

In the Audio tab I tried formats AC-3, LC-AAC and MP3. I used Auto Selects for Encoder and Source. In the Sound tab I have Channels set to Stereo and Gain set to 30db. The 30db is set only to make sure the Gain worked, and it blasts from my speakers !! Using AC-3 and MP3 formats everything worked except for the LC-AAC 6ch file. Using LC-AAC format nothing worked.

Be aware that many MKV files are using the LC-AAC 6ch format for sound. None of my tests worked for this format. When I run into this format I use MKVmerge GUI to make separate video and audio files, then I use AudioCoder 5150 to convert and adjust the audio to the format I want, then I use MediaCoder 4740 to remux the separate files into an MP4 file. Remuxing with 5158 does not work. A longer process but it makes what I want without transcoding any video.

One other comment, MediaCoder 5158 does not work right with MKV files that contain multiple audio tracks. So I use MKVmerge GUI to eliminate all the tracks but the one I want.

Hope all this info helps you.