Vob file fail to convert

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

Falneth
Beginner
Beginner

Vob file fail to convert

Post by Falneth » Wed May 18, 2011 2:06 pm

I am running MediaCoder 2011 build 5150 on WIndows XP SP3. I have a DVD movie stored on my computer in vob format (4 vob files for 1 movie). Each vob file contains only part of the whole video. I am trying to convert them to avi format. I plan on then using another program to join them all together so I have the whole movie in 1 file. I've successfully converted the first, third, and last VOB files to avi format. However, whenever I try to convert the [b]SECOND[/b] VOB file (video and audio to the formats listed below), the program locks up and does not do anything. I used the EXACT same settings for all the files. When I try to convert the VIDEO only and not the audio, the program works with one small problem: the video preview shows subtitles in Spanish. When I try to copy JUST the audio and not the VIDEO, I keep getting failure messages. One more thing: When I try to play the VOB files in Media Player Classic (which is able to play DVDs), the audio is in Spanish and I cannot change it. HOWEVER, when the vob files play in Nero Showtime, the audio is in ENGLISH. I want English audio once the conversion is completed.

The source file info is:
Container: MPEG-PS
Size: 1024 MB

Video Format: MPEG Video
Format version: Version 2
Duration: 23mn 27s
Bit rate mode: Variable
Bit rate: 5 212 Kbps
Nominal bit rate: 7 500 Kbps
Frame rate: 23.976 fps

Audio #1
ID: 128 (0x80)
Format: AC-3
Format/Info: Audio Coding 3
Mode extension: CM (complete main)
Channel(s): 6 channels

Audio #2
ID: 129 (0x81)
Format: AC-3
Format/Info: Audio Coding 3
Mode extension: CM (complete main)
Channel(s): 6 channels

The TARGET file info is:
Container format: AVI
Video Format: Xvid
Audio Format: MP3
Channel(s): 2 channels (Stereo)

In the long run, I will be storing the video on my computer and playing it on my Xbox 360 through my network. I do this for 2 main reasons:
1. Lower the chance of having to try to play a scratched disk
2. Increase the lifespan of my Xbox 360 disk eye for reading disks
Also, if my tv or 360 is in use, I will watch the videos on my computer.

Can anyone provide me an explanation for the ONE vob file not converting like the others?

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Re: Vob file fail to convert

Post by meRobs » Wed May 18, 2011 2:51 pm

Hi welcome to the Forum
Rather than answer your question directly let me suggest that it is not a good idea to convert VOBs from a DVD for the reasons given in the Guide on DVD or VOBs -- see Tips & Guides (link below).
It is better to use the Add Track feature.
This also has the advantage of being able to convert the entire movie to one file with the audio in sync.
Have you checked out the Tips & Guides for MediaCoder? Try: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Also, get older builds at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download

Falneth
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Falneth » Wed May 18, 2011 3:28 pm

meRobs wrote:Rather than answer your question directly let me suggest that it is not a good idea to convert VOBs from a DVD for the reasons given in the Guide on DVD or VOBs -- see Tips & Guides (link below).

It is better to use the Add Track feature.
This also has the advantage of being able to convert the entire movie to one file with the audio in sync.
I tried to use the Add Track feature but apparently I do not know how to use it. I clicked File -> Add Track. Track Type is set to DVD and I browsed to the folder on my desktop where my Vob files are located and selected JUST the folder that contains the VOB files. I then set my DVD drive as the CD/DVD-ROM. I left the rest of the settings the same, then clicked Start. Immediately, I received Error Code 17.

Also, I went through the ENTIRE list of topics in the Tips and Guides forum but could not find any guide that had anything to do with "reasons why you should not convert VOBs from a DVD". Can you please either direct me to the topic you were referring to or help me learn how to use the "Add Track" feature?

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Post by meRobs » Thu May 19, 2011 1:23 pm

The guide that discusses why you shouldn't do a direct conversion of VOBs and how to use the Add Track feature are under "The conversion of DVDs (VOBs etc)" (at: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8082&start=0)
Have you checked out the Tips & Guides for MediaCoder? Try: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Also, get older builds at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download

ladycoder
Expert
Expert

Post by ladycoder » Fri May 27, 2011 11:51 am

If nothing else works rip all the VOBs into one VOB with only the english audio. Either burn on a RW disc and use DVD Decrypter in IFO mode or try something like Smartripper that does it from hard drive.