combine two avi's into one?

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

JerryCic
Beginner
Beginner

combine two avi's into one?

Post by JerryCic » Sun May 08, 2011 3:36 am

Hi
i have a lot of "Disk1" Disk2" avi's or mp4's that i want to re-code into one.
Windows Movie maker crashes when i drag and drop them onto the resources panel.
Adobe encoder takes about 20 hours to do it.

So what about mediacoder?
can i simply string two avis into one output?

Thanks
Jerry C

ladycoder
Expert
Expert

Re: combine two avi's into one?

Post by ladycoder » Sun May 08, 2011 7:45 am

Sometimes you can APPEND 2 avis with the same codecs with Virtual Dub and stream copy. If the audio is VBR, this does not always work, in which case try copying video and redoing audio to CBR mp3 or ac3 with MC. The Join selection may work or try VDub again.
Last edited by ladycoder on Mon May 09, 2011 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

ysbinns
Amateur
Amateur

Post by ysbinns » Sun May 08, 2011 3:48 pm

Try Mkvmerge GUI to do this. Load the first file with the Add button. Load the second file with the Append button. Then click the Start Muxing button. This will give you a combined file as an MKV file. No problem. Use MediaCoder to Copy Video and Copy Audio and change the container to what you want. I use MediaCoder Build 4740 for this, and I do this a lot.

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Post by meRobs » Mon May 09, 2011 9:56 am

You can join the two together in MediaCoder during a transcode by selecting both and File > Group.
Of course the video parameters of the source files need to be the same.

As indicated in the Test Report (Tips & Guides below), most builds work for 'Group' (tested with short VOBs).
I just re-checked in build 5138 using 3 short MPEG4/AVIs and it worked, but not with Copy Video.
Have you checked out the Tips & Guides for MediaCoder? Try: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Also, get older builds at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download

ysbinns
Amateur
Amateur

Post by ysbinns » Mon May 09, 2011 5:18 pm

The Copy Video function in all of the new builds 5000+ disables way too many other functions. I prefer a Copy Video function because there is no re-encode of the video hence no additional loss in quality. That's why I use 4740. And the Mkvmerge GUI also uses the copy video function along with a copy audio function. And with no re-encode this process is very fast. Under 10 minutes, start to finish, with my dual core AMD.

I surely wish the Copy Video problem in MediaCoder could get resolved as it would eliminate the use of other softwares and only MediaCoder would be necessary.

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Post by meRobs » Mon May 09, 2011 5:43 pm

ysbinns: correct, but the original post used the word "re-code" so I thought non-copy would do.

I suggest you post a Bug Report giving some details that would help the developer to set up MediaCoder to suit your needs.
Have you checked out the Tips & Guides for MediaCoder? Try: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Also, get older builds at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download

ysbinns
Amateur
Amateur

Post by ysbinns » Tue May 10, 2011 1:03 am

Yes "re-code" was used in the original post. I apologize for my oversight. My method does not involve re-code so my post was inappropriate. And thank you for your suggestion concerning bug reports. That has already been done.

dasjournal
Amateur
Amateur

Post by dasjournal » Tue May 10, 2011 9:59 pm

For your mp4 files, use My MP4Box Gui. It's quick, and doesn't re-encode anything.