New at this (Converting VOB to AVI, progress? Errors)

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

Taisen
Beginner
Beginner

New at this (Converting VOB to AVI, progress? Errors)

Post by Taisen » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:27 pm

I'm really new at this, and I honestly don't understand most of the terms in the device. Except how to make the video remain the same, and the audio remain the same. Today, I tried to convert a VOB video file to a smaller AVI that would work better with Media Player Classic.

The first time around, the file converted, but for some reason the output file had no audio and used subtitles, even though I specified no subtitles, and original audio. (And I used the Media Cover wizard too.) Then I changed some things up, and since that, each time I got an error message, along the lines of "There are one or more errors, see error log for more details." I didn't find an error log, and the finished AVI file seemed to delete itself when it ended like that.

Well I downloaded and installed the newest build, for my 64-bit Windows 7 computer. Right now I'm trying again to encode the video and I'm not sure how long it will be until it finishes because the progress percentage has mysteriously disappeared.

I'll be sure to let you know if the output file works properly on Media Player Classic. In the meantime, can someone tell me how to bring the progress percentage back? There's no percentage on the file listing anymore, and I've checked every other tab and it's not anywhere right now.

UPDATES: As it turns out, if the progress percentage doesn't appear, the conversion never finishes. When I unchecked the "Copy Video" and "Copy Audio" options and instead picked out some options on my own, the progress percentage came back.

Converted a file successfully. But when I play it on MPC it plays 16:9 like I want it to. Yet on RealPlayer it plays 4:3. How did that happen?

ladycoder
Expert
Expert

Re: New at this (Converting VOB to AVI, progress? Errors)

Post by ladycoder » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:29 am

Copy Video mpeg2 to an avi container will probably not work, as you discovered. Some players read the aspect ratio in the header, some just play back from the actual dimensions = 720x480 or 720x576

Resizing with square pixels is the only way to be sure of all players.

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Post by meRobs » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:09 am

I strongly recommend you read some of the Tips & Guides (link below) expecially on Aspect Ratios and VOBs.

As ladycoder said many software players fail to read the Pixel Aspect Ratio, which when combined with the frames will give the intended Display Aspect Ratio of 16:9.
The video frames have an aspect ratio of either 1.5 (3:2) for NTSC or 1.25 (5:4) for PAL.
Players may often be set to display 4:3 or 16:9.

If you prefer to play your files on a software player, do as ladycoder suggests, set the Pixel Aspect Ratio to 1 and the output frame to have a "Resize" with 16:9 ratio (see the Guide).
Have you checked out the Tips & Guides for MediaCoder? Try: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Also, get older builds at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download

AndrewED123
Beginner
Beginner

Post by AndrewED123 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:22 am

Hi,Taisen, luckily, finally you solved the problem.
I know something about the Display Aspect as I have the similar experience.
As for the Display Aspect on MPC, maybe 16:9 is the default, so you can change the default setting to set the Display Aspect you want. While RealPlayer can recognize the file's Aspect Ratio 4:3, so that is why it's 4:3 on RealPlayer. I was told by one of my friend so i can not explain very well.
Next time when you do conversions, you can try OJOsoft VOB to AVconverter or other products of this company, just because their products are easy to operate, especially for beginners. Some profiles is prepared well to meet various device's need. I think it is not bad. I googled it here:
http://www.ojosoft.com/how-to-convert/v ... erter.html