Install 2 different Mediacoder versions

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

Jamesbond007
Amateur
Amateur

Install 2 different Mediacoder versions

Post by Jamesbond007 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:46 pm

I have searched about this a little bit and found that you can have 2 or more different versions of Mediacoder by installing them in different locations. Is this correct?

Will this procedure work if I want to install both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions (I am using Windows 7 x64)? And will their settings be kept separate or will their settings interfere with each other? If the settings will interfere, is it possible to keep separate settings for 2 or more Mediacoder versions on the same computer?

Please advise.

dasjournal
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Install 2 different Mediacoder versions

Post by dasjournal » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:52 pm

Yes, you can use different builds of MC on your computer. You can even use x32 and x64 builds. They do need to be installed to different locations, however. To achieve this, you should check the box that says something along the lines of "Store Program Settings in the Program Folder" during installation.
Last edited by dasjournal on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jamesbond007
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Jamesbond007 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:03 am

dasjournal wrote:Yes, you can use different builds of MC on your computer. You can even use x32 and x64 builds. They do need to installed to different locations, however. To achieve this, you should check the box that says something along the lines of "Store Program Settings in the Program Folder" during installation.
I see. But if program settings must be stored in the program folder, then I believe I will have to run Mediacoder in Admin mode in order to be able to change and save the settings, since Windows 7 will not allow anything to be saved to the Program Files folders by default. Is this correct?

dasjournal
Amateur
Amateur

Post by dasjournal » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:44 am

I'm not sure. It would depend on your status. Many people are automatically given (2nd tier) Administrator rights, and hence, some actions still require further confirmation via UAC.

ysbinns
Amateur
Amateur

Post by ysbinns » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:05 pm

dasjournal wrote:Yes, you can use different builds of MC on your computer. You can even use x32 and x64 builds. They do need to installed to different locations, however. To achieve this, you should check the box that says something along the lines of "Store Program Settings in the Program Folder" during installation.
Thank for this information. I was tired of uninstalling Build 4740 and installing the new build, to see what worked or not worked. I followed your instructions, installed to "MediacoderNew" folder (or whatever you want to call it) and Build 5125 and Build 4740 are working as expected.

dasjournal
Amateur
Amateur

Post by dasjournal » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:26 pm

Good to hear that the steps are working.

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Post by meRobs » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:48 pm

Out of interest, you do not need to check: "Save data files in Program folder", at least for the 32-bit cersion for XP SP3.

For some time now I have had 3 or 4 different versions/builds of MediaCoder on board and have never had the need to save in the program folder.
Have you checked out the Tips & Guides for MediaCoder? Try: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Also, get older builds at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download

dasjournal
Amateur
Amateur

Post by dasjournal » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:37 pm

meRobs wrote:Out of interest, you do not need to check: "Save data files in Program folder", at least for the 32-bit cersion for XP SP3.

For some time now I have had 3 or 4 different versions/builds of MediaCoder on board and have never had the need to save in the program folder.
But surely MC would then use the same 'Broad Intelligence' folder in XP's Documents and Settings area to store settings. Or is not the case?

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Post by meRobs » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:36 pm

I have never been aware of any problems.
This is most likely due to the fact that I nearly always use Presets and for builds that are far apart there is usually the need to have Presets peculiar to each build and stored in parrallel folders. Certainly, when I first open a different Build, I straight away load a Preset created for that build. Then, I may well change parameters, etc.

As far as I can recall, the two Broad Intelligence folders have XML files that depict the most recent settings and other unimportant info that are probably overwritten by a Preset!?
Have you checked out the Tips & Guides for MediaCoder? Try: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Also, get older builds at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download

Jamesbond007
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Jamesbond007 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:00 pm

dasjournal wrote:
meRobs wrote:Out of interest, you do not need to check: "Save data files in Program folder", at least for the 32-bit cersion for XP SP3.

But surely MC would then use the same 'Broad Intelligence' folder in XP's Documents and Settings area to store settings. Or is not the case?
Yeah. If 2 or more versions of Mediacoder save their preferences in the same location, won't they interfere with each other? At least that seems to be my experience when I tried before (without choosing "Save data files in Program folder" on installation).

But the suggestion to use different presets for different versions of Mediacoder is certainly a useful one. I shall find time to test it.