HD to SD

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

Demetrio
Amateur
Amateur

HD to SD

Post by Demetrio » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:17 pm

I need to convert HD content to SD so I can watch it on my DVD player, which supports Xvid. At first I would only reduce resolution, which worked just fine, but then I found out that HD and SD use different luma and chroma coefficients.

Where can I find these settings in MediaCoder and how do I use them? Is there something more that should be considered when converting HD to SD? Thank you.

kawamoto76
Advanced
Advanced

Re: HD to SD

Post by kawamoto76 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:39 pm

You do not have to down-convert HD to SD.
Just you had better purchace Hewlett-Packard BD-2000 Blu-ray player. Its price is only about 100(USD) or 10,000Yen. Your effort cost to convert HD to SD for many movies will exceed its price.
It can play back HD movie not only on application format such as BD-video or DVD-Video, but also video files as a file style through USB memory (FAT32)or through USB hard disk(FAT32), or as a file on UDF disk(BD-R, DVD-R and .etc).
Supported formats are .mpg, .mp4(AVC), .ts(mpeg2-aac) and .etc.
Also simillar type one is sold from LG-Electronics.
Akira Kawamoto

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Post by meRobs » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:54 pm

If you wish to convert HD to SD to suit your existing player, I suggest you read the Encoding Guide at: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=9643.
Especially, read Note 4 and try the settings for Xvid/AVI, for example.
Of course, change the Resize values, etc, to suit your requirements.
Have you checked out the Tips & Guides for MediaCoder? Try: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Also, get older builds at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download

ladycoder
Expert
Expert

Post by ladycoder » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:34 pm

If you want to alter luma - brightness or contrast, you can. Whether there is a specific difference in the levels for HD and SD, that is listed somewhere, I don't know.

If you want to alter chroma - R,G or B separately with MC, you can't. It doesn't work.