iPod: subtitles don't clear from sceen when they should

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

codesaway
Beginner
Beginner

iPod: subtitles don't clear from sceen when they should

Post by codesaway » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:14 pm

I'm trying to convert some of my anime from MKV to MP4, so that I can use it on my iPod. The files have the subtitles stored in the file, which are rendered while viewing (when viewed in a media player).

I first tried to encode it directly, which works great (the subtitles are hardsubbed, so that they are in the video, and not rendered while playing). This works, except that many times instead of the current line disappearing like it should, it gets pushed up on the screen. What happens is that the old text moves up, as if it were pushed by the new text.

An example:

Old text:
Line of text

New text:
Line of text
New line of text

The old line of text isn't shown but for a few moments (a fraction of a second), which leads me to believe that either I'm using a wrong setting, or when it's being rendered, it's not reading the timings correctly. It doesn't do this on the original MKV, so I know it's not due to poor timing on the subtitles.

I played with the settings and couldn't figure out what to do. I also tried it with extracted subtitles (used Aegisub to extract the subtitles) and then tried it (many times, trying different settings). However, same result.

Does anyone have an idea of how to fix this?

Thanks.