Set CPU Utilization?

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

arcaninx
Beginner
Beginner

Set CPU Utilization?

Post by arcaninx » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:39 pm

Could someone pls advise me on how to set the max CPU utilization? My Acer laptop always shut down itself if the program is run at full speed.

Thanks

themaster123
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Set CPU Utilization?

Post by themaster123 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:40 am

If you have dual\quad(in case of high end laptops) core you might be able to have mediacoder on use half or a forth of all you cpu. Under the list to encoder under general is a core affinty option that will allow you to limit the core use which might work. If not it might be possible if you use vista or windows 7 to use the built in power management to limit the full clock speed of the cpu. by going into the advance option and forcing the cpu to only goto like 50% maximum it will at most run at 50 clock for example my desktop i3 run at 2.9 with a 50% limit it run at 1.3-1.5 depend of the speedstep closest is without going over the limit. This however require a cpu(my i3 has this) with clock speed thottle function. Speedstep or powernow\cool and quiet(I hear of amd use both those name) If you need picture I can try to put some up.

Yttrian
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Set CPU Utilization?

Post by Yttrian » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:02 am

arcaninx wrote:Could someone pls advise me on how to set the max CPU utilization? My Acer laptop always shut down itself if the program is run at full speed.

Thanks

I honestly think Media Coder is a fantastic piece of software, and to add to its large toolbox a throttle would work. Simple CPU util detect is available pretty much by reading the value the Taskmgr.exe function gives, and then throttle using a simple 25/50/75/Max Cpu usage slider. also, to the original post person, go to Run, type taskmgr.exe go to the mediacoder process, and select below normal or lowest priority in the meantime.