Mediacoder Iphone/Ipod Edition Converting problem

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

Rebeldawg
Amateur
Amateur

Mediacoder Iphone/Ipod Edition Converting problem

Post by Rebeldawg » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:39 am

Hi, I've been trying to convert movies that I've got that are in widescreen format with the iphone/ipod touch
edition of mediacoder and whenever I convert widescreen movies no matter what movie it is the end result is
full screen and not the original widescreen format even though in the cropping settings I've got it set to not to
crop the video. Any help would be appreciated. I tried it out again and got the same result. I tried running the
setup wizard but I get an error about the application.ini file.

chinapaulo
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Mediacoder Iphone/Ipod Edition Converting problem

Post by chinapaulo » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:39 pm

Rebeldawg wrote:Hi, I've been trying to convert movies that I've got that are in widescreen format with the iphone/ipod touch
edition of mediacoder and whenever I convert widescreen movies no matter what movie it is the end result is
full screen and not the original widescreen format
Forget about the cropping settings. The problem here is that the iPod/iPhone/iPad version of MediaCoder does not preserve the aspect ratio by default. For the life of me, I do not know why the default behavior of any transcoding software would be to distort the aspect ratio to the specified output resolution. If it were up to me, I would make it so that the user did want to change the aspect ratio for whatever reason, it would be buried 10 menu levels deep and require the user to say yes to a prompt asking, "Are you SURE you want to do this? You almost CERTAINLY DO NOT want to do this!"

That said, here's the entirely-unintuitive method of solving this problem, assuming you're talking about videos in 16:9 format: Start with a 16:9 resolution like "Apple TV/iPad 576p", which is 1024x576. Then click on Options > Video Filters and then manually set the Width and Height to your desired resolution -- like 640x352 or 480x472.

Of course, don't bother saving the settings as a preset -- that won't work.

Rebeldawg
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Rebeldawg » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:18 pm

Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately my problem still persists. I wonder if I got
rid of the divx codec and installed ffdshow filter if that'd help with the problem any.

agartner15
Beginner
Beginner

Post by agartner15 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:22 am

Hello.
I had this problem some time ago and I fixed it by clicking crop then selecting auto crop to fit. That fixed it for me.

Hope it works