Introduction of MediaCoder Command Line Edition

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Introduction of MediaCoder Command Line Edition

Post by stanley » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:37 am

First of all, one thing to be let known is that MediaCoder command line edition is intended to be used by people or organizations who want to seriously use MediaCoder's features within their applications, at the same time, with least modifications on their side. So, this piece of software is not provided for free like MediaCoder which is more commonly used for personal or experimental use. The approach is to provide better services for people and organizations who want to make better use of MediaCoder with their applications, as well as providing some funds for further development of MediaCoder which is and will be free of charge and is mainly supported by user donations and website ads revenue.
MediaCoder command line edition shares the same base of MediaCoder. Basically, it's transcoding settings are configured with a preset file created wth MediaCoder or obtained somewhere else. In other word, it covers all the transcoding features of MediaCoder GUI version. As a command line program, it can be invoked by another program. This is an easy way for either an application or a back-end server program to obtain media transcoding features with least modifications. The command line version can be easily configured with a preset file created by MediaCoder GUI version, as well as by specifying parameters through command line options.

Command Line Syntax

mc.exe [-preset <preset file>] [-key <parameter key>] [-value <value of the specified key>] [-outfile <output file name>] [-outdir <output folder>] <input file>

Explanations:
  • -preset: This specifies the preset file to load which configures the transcoding engine. The preset file can be created with MediaCoder or written from scratch.
  • -key/-value: A pair of key and value parameter, followed by two strings, alters the value of a parameter key of the transcoding engine upon the default value. Multiple key/value pairs can be specified to alter several keys.
  • -outfile: This specifies the path of the output file.
  • -outdir: This specifies the folder where the output file is to be stored. The file name will be generated automatically. If outfile is specified, this parameter has no effect.
  • Path to the input file must be specified. If the path, as well as value of the specified parameter key, contains white space, double quotation marks should be present.
Evaluation
You can download a copy of the command line version for evaluation purpose. The evaluation version only encodes up to 2 minutes of source material. You can find several preset files in the package. Of course, you can use any preset file created with MediaCoder.

Purchase
Please visit this page for details of purchasing.
When things work together, things work.

chris0013
Beginner
Beginner

Post by chris0013 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:54 pm

I test this command

mediacoder.exe -preser mypreset -outfile kiki.mp4 kiki.wmv

but the trasncoding doesn't start. Why ?

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:23 pm

Does your preset file work with MediaCoder (GUI version)?

Entity
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Entity » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:23 am

I'm trying to do a WMV encode right now that works on *some* versions of MediaCoder (.6.0.395 but not .6.1.66), but the commandline reports back "error when encoding video frame" or "broken frame at 0x10587d" no matter what I use as an input file (TSCC-encoded AVI, H264-encoded MP4).

I've had problems encoding to WMV on several computers, have never gotten it working properly using Mediacoder -- our eventual goal is to get a commandline mode running under Linux so that we can run transcoding on our webserver.

Any ideas?

Rob

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:58 am

The command line version is built against the latest code. So it might contains some issues in MediaCoder as well. WMV3 and WMA2 encoding has always been not very stable in MediaCoder. I will look into this and give you feedback sometime later.

chris0013
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Introduction of MediaCoder Command Line Edition

Post by chris0013 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:01 pm

I try to encode to h264 MAin profile but i didn't found the mencoder.exe command line option to fix the profil to MainProfil. Somebody can help me ?