DVD backup doubt

Share with other users your experience in using MediaCoder.
andrema2
Amateur
Amateur

DVD backup doubt

Post by andrema2 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:44 am

I have always backup my dvd using DVDdecrypt. I would like to convert it to just one file, keeping the resolution and the 5.1 sound.

What should be my settings ? Should I use x264 and mkv as a container ?

Thanks

horrormaster34
Modest
Modest

Post by horrormaster34 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:56 am

You can make DVDDecryptor output to a single VOB file. You just have to change the "split by size" option or whatever it's called in DVDDecryptor (I always use DVDShrink so I'm not sure what it's called).

To keep the same resolution, just un-check the Resolution box. You can either encode the to another format and keep the 5.1 channels or you can always just use Audio Copy so you keep the original AC3 track.

MKV is a great container since it can contain pretty much any A/V codec. x264 will give you the best quality, but will also take longer than the other codecs. If quality is your only goal, then go with x264. If you need advice on settings (there are a lot for x264) I can help with that.

andrema2
Amateur
Amateur

Post by andrema2 » Mon May 19, 2008 1:54 am

SUre I would like to have some hints. I`m a newbie.

What I'm trying to do is to reduce the size of my DVD backups and to have just one file instead of all this vob and ifo.

I don`t want to have a ISO file as well. sinceI would like to double click it and played.

I would like to keep the dvd quality and the 5.1 audio of it, adding portuguese subtitles on the final file.

I`m doing some tests but the files that I'm ending with is much bigger than the original DVD.

ladycoder
Expert
Expert

Post by ladycoder » Mon May 19, 2008 7:46 am

With Decrypter in IFO mode, set File split to NONE.

If the converted file is still too large, try Quality settings at 90% and copy audio.

andrema2
Amateur
Amateur

Post by andrema2 » Mon May 19, 2008 8:02 am

One I have done it already. Is there a way to do it as you said without load the original DVD all over again ?