X264 profile - trying to use Fabio Sonatti's settings

Share with other users your experience in using MediaCoder.
boardersparadise
Modest
Modest

Re: X264 profile - trying to use Fabio Sonatti's settings

Post by boardersparadise » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:29 am

Entity wrote: I'm pretty amazed at the quality he was able to get out of 500k encoding. http://www.flashcomguru.com/index.cfm/2 ... -drop-h264
I didn't have the time to read 7+ pages, but just to quickly chime in: the premiss is flawed, because the video in the provided link doesn't have 500kbps but 1121 kbps (34,2 MB @ 3min 53sec). And that's for the video stream only! So this is far less impressive than the 500k (admittedly) would have been!

AnonCrow
Modest
Modest

Post by AnonCrow » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:05 pm

boardersparadise wrote:
Entity wrote: I'm pretty amazed at the quality he was able to get out of 500k encoding. http://www.flashcomguru.com/index.cfm/2 ... -drop-h264
because the video in the provided link doesn't have 500kbps but 1121 kbps (34,2 MB @ 3min 53sec).
Don't know what you downloaded because the video file I got from the link in that URL was 15,4 MiB total - nominal video bitrate 500 Kbps , actual video bitrate 482 Kbps.

boardersparadise
Modest
Modest

Post by boardersparadise » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:27 pm

Well I followed the link posted above. Then clicked on "Check out this demo". That's it.
But I tried it again today and this time the filesize is only 15,4 MB (so yes, 500 kbps roughly).
I don't know what caused the change, but at any rate 500 kbps is impressive.

boardersparadise
Modest
Modest

Re: Fabio Sonatti's Profile (Updated)

Post by boardersparadise » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:45 pm

thanks to everyone for this helpful thread!

Does anyone know the complete settings used by Fabio?
Because the ones posted below are of course just a coarse outline.
B!ink wrote:
Fabio Sonatti's wrote:13 February, 2008
Pushing H.264 to the limit - Part II

3) What tools am I useing ?

Here some parameters used: 5 reference frames, 5 B-frames, authomatic B-Frames, B-pyramid enabled, adaptive macroblock type, advanced Trellis on, Subq=7, advanced exagon search, deblocking filter with custom alpha e beta parameter, three pass encoding...

AnonCrow
Modest
Modest

Re: Fabio Sonatti's Profile (Updated)

Post by AnonCrow » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:34 am

boardersparadise wrote:Does anyone know the complete settings used by Fabio?
Because the ones posted below are of course just a coarse outline.
You're much better off just using slower or even very slow presets; Fabios settings are outdated with current x264 anyway;
Tune based on content as needed.

boardersparadise
Modest
Modest

Post by boardersparadise » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:15 pm

exactly which of his settings are outdated ? Those quoted above are still selectable in current x264.
and how do you know they are outdated, when you don't even know his settings?

AnonCrow
Modest
Modest

Post by AnonCrow » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:24 pm

boardersparadise wrote:exactly which of his settings are outdated ? Those quoted above are still selectable in current x264.
and how do you know they are outdated, when you don't even know his settings?
Um, just downloaded the video and viewed it in Mediainfo ? (which are also posted many times before, including on the first page of this thread and in the comments of the referenced post http://www.flashcomguru.com/index.cfm/2 ... -drop-h264 ) :

Code: Select all

cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=hex / subme=7 / brdo=1 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=6 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=5 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / bime=0 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=abr / bitrate=500 / ratetol=1.0 / rceq='blurCplx^(1-qComp)' / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30
Except for the trellis setting and bframes=5 , it's pretty much the same is preset=medium . Using ABR instead of CRF or 2-pass is horrible.
Subme=7 used to be the max setting, for quite some time it was 9 , now it is 10. B-pyramid can now be 0,1 or 2 (none,strict,normal)

boardersparadise
Modest
Modest

Post by boardersparadise » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:21 pm

ok, a couple of things then. I don't know why I, but I read the first page several times and I always missed the settings section. I am sorry. I also didn't know that the encoder settings are stored inside the video file. I have MediaInfo but for some reason I never noticed this feature. It's annoying, I don't know why sometimes I have blind spots like that. At any rate, thanks for posting the settings, I really appreciate that.
it's pretty much the same is preset=medium
I have looked long and hard, but couldn't google to what settings the different presets translate to in detail. But judging from your quote it sure looks like you know. Can you direct me somewhere please ?

AnonCrow
Modest
Modest

Post by AnonCrow » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 am

boardersparadise wrote:
it's pretty much the same is preset=medium
I have looked long and hard, but couldn't google to what settings the different presets translate to in detail. But judging from your quote it sure looks like you know. Can you direct me somewhere please ?
'x264 --fullhelp' in commandline followed by |more or > fullhelp.txt if needed.
http://mewiki.project357.com/wiki/X264_Settings for slightly more detailed explanations on each option.

boardersparadise
Modest
Modest

Post by boardersparadise » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:44 am

you are the best!
everything is there ... nice and tidy!

given that you know your way 'round so well, .... can you bear one last question?
I promise it's the last :)

I was looking for a for some text explaining to me what what the different "tunes" mean exactly (film, grain, animation, etc.). Again, I didn't find a whole lot, only a quite vague comment by one of the developers, but nothing like the good help files you turned up. I know, at first glance the descriptors are pretty obvious... but then again,... does animation only refer to classic old-school animation like Donald Duck or also to CGI mangas with lots of light flares, special effects, rendering, etc.? And does "grain" rather try to preserve grain in grainy material (which would be lost with other settings) or - on the contrary - redouble the efforts to remove the grain (i.e. more noise reduction) ? And does "film" refer to regular cinema movies ... ? Don't bother with answering all of these, but if you could give me a link or a hint where I could look for the answer, I'd really appreciate that.
Last edited by boardersparadise on Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.