MediaCoder on Linux with Wine Howto

Share with other users your experience in using MediaCoder.
geoff07
Beginner
Beginner

Re: MediaCoder on Linux with Wine Howto

Post by geoff07 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:09 am

I just got MediaCoder working under Ubuntu 8.10 in three steps:

1 install wine using apt-get as above but could have been with synaptic

2 download MediaCoder to the desktop. I also downloaded the codec pack in case I needed it.

3 Then open Mediacoder with Wine (right click).

It works. No need to install the Win version of Firefox as it calls the Ubuntu version quite happily. It does confuse for a moment because it goes away to find Firefox and the banner disappears and you think it has bombed. But then up comes Firefox and you click on start and away it goes.

It is also nice to see it actually is four times faster on my AMD Phenom 9500 quadcore cpu running Ubuntu than on the Athlon 2600 I have that runs XP

primerump
Beginner
Beginner

Post by primerump » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:40 am

geoff07 wrote:I just got MediaCoder working under Ubuntu 8.10 in three steps:

1 install wine using apt-get as above but could have been with synaptic

2 download MediaCoder to the desktop. I also downloaded the codec pack in case I needed it.

3 Then open Mediacoder with Wine (right click).

It works. No need to install the Win version of Firefox as it calls the Ubuntu version quite happily. It does confuse for a moment because it goes away to find Firefox and the banner disappears and you think it has bombed. But then up comes Firefox and you click on start and away it goes.

It is also nice to see it actually is four times faster on my AMD Phenom 9500 quadcore cpu running Ubuntu than on the Athlon 2600 I have that runs XP

I can confirm this latest version ( 0.7 build 4490 ) works perfectly on 64 bit Ubuntu 9 jaunty with the latest Wine
from the ubuntu repo..

Thank you for this software.. it ROCKS...

thibeaz
Amateur
Amateur

Post by thibeaz » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:25 am

well actually my way is a little outdated if you look there ;) since then Stanely did make some changes (iirc a while ago anyways) to use the linux version of firefox so yeah the guide I made Sir Auron posted needs to be updated (if you could remove the instructions for downloading the win32 version of firefox that would be great) and yes I'm back after a very long time :P

necrochan
Beginner
Beginner

Post by necrochan » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:20 pm

Hi, i've been having this problem with MC and wine (Jaunty 32, Jaunty 64, and now Karmic 32):
When I try to encode anything in MPEG4 + FAAC + MP4, It only work on single pass presets, 2 and 3 Pass show a "No file is Outputed (or something alike)" error.
I have this kind of error in several others convinations of settings, does anyone have experience with MC and Wine? If you need more info to make a diagnose, plz tell me!