*deleted*

Share with other users your experience in using MediaCoder.
aufkrawall
Amateur
Amateur

*deleted*

Post by aufkrawall » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:38 am

*deleted*

Edit: I deleted it because it simply didn't work right.
Last edited by aufkrawall on Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:34 pm, edited 42 times in total.

AnonCrow
Modest
Modest

Re: How to convert Fraps RGB video to x264 lossless

Post by AnonCrow » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:22 am

aufkrawall wrote:-x264 preset should be "Faster" or higher, otherwise encoding will take ages and result will be even more ressources demanding:
I'd say that the preset used shouldn't be slower than veryfast (and might want to use --tune fast-decode then, or just --no-cabac).
The size of the encode created by ultrafast is only somewhat larger than the super/veryfast.
If the system is bottlenecked by something else other than x264, then veryfast might be just as fast as ultra/superfast.

Using slow/slower/veryslow/placebo presets would take between long and forever to encode, but might decrease the encode size by upto ~30% , so it'd only make sense to encode them with those if you were storing the videos in lossless format, instead of the more likely scenario of using it as an intermediate format.

http://doom10.org/index.php?topic=12.0
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=106408

aufkrawall
Amateur
Amateur

Re: How to convert Fraps RGB video to x264 lossless

Post by aufkrawall » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:51 am

AnonCrow wrote: I'd say that the preset used shouldn't be slower than veryfast (and might want to use --tune fast-decode then, or just --no-cabac).
Everything below Faster seems to be a problem to the encoder: Not just that the performance drops totally, the result can even be crap, e.g. some seconds are missing in the end. This happens also with YUV4:4:4 10bit, a preset below Faster leads to length-cut.

With RGB, unfortunately even Very Fast is too much for my Phenom II X4 @3.5Ghz, only Ultra Fast doesn't eat up 100% CPU usage while playing.
--no-cabac Medium is a little bit smaller than Ultra fast, not much unfortunately.

I think to have a real advantage over Fraps RGB, x264 lossless RGB had to support 10 bit depth, then there'd be also less CPU consumption.
ATM I think YUV4:4:4 10bit delivers the most useful result. With this also lower profiles didn't have a much size saving effect so it's not a pity that profiles below Faster don't work right.