MediaCoder on Linux/WINE

Share with other users your experience in using MediaCoder.
stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

MediaCoder on Linux/WINE

Post by stanley » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:08 am

Today a user has sent me a screenshot of MediaCoder running with WINE under Linux and report that the program runs quite well under Linux. This is a great news. Here is the screenshot he sent me.

Further testing reports under Linux are welcomed.
Last edited by stanley on Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
When things work together, things work.

996tt
Beginner
Beginner

Post by 996tt » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:10 am

Hi, I'm a member of the Distributed Interactive Media Initiative at Ryerson University, and I've been working away and have MediaCoder working on both 32 and 64 bit builds of Edgy. Had some issues with starting the program after the computer had been restarted, to use it you have to go into terminal, cd to /home/USERNAMEHERE/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/MediaCoder and wine MediaCoder.exe. Here's a printscreen of it on 32 bit.

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:27 am

Very happy to see MediaCoder running on different Linux distro. It seems WINE is really going mature. ;-)

996tt
Beginner
Beginner

Post by 996tt » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:23 am

stanley wrote:Very happy to see MediaCoder running on different Linux distro. It seems WINE is really going mature. ;-)
It still took a bit of fiddling. For some reason the desktop shortcut works until you reboot, then doesn't. Took me a little while to figure out where Wine's fake C drive was. I think what Wine needs is better documentation.

But MediaCoder is running great, and it's going to be used for batch transcoding of shows that will be put on the Ryerson internal TV station.

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:31 am

Thanks. I'll keep on making it better.

Failed on ubuntu

Post by guest » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:53 am

Hello!

I'm trying to run MediaCoder on ubuntu (6.10), thru wine but got no success. Since I'm a newbie with linux this might be the problem... :-)

So, I have a dual boot with winxp and ubuntu, and mediacoder is installed on WinXP. I tried to access mediacoder.exe thru wine but got:

Code: Select all

/media/sda1/Program Files/MediaCoder$ wine mediacoder.exe
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x5b
fixme:actctx:FindActCtxSectionStringW 00000000 (null) 2 L"msvcr80.dll" 0x337adc
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk "MSVCR80.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\media\\sda1\\Program Files\\MediaCoder\\mediacoder.exe" failed, status c0000142
Then I tried to run the installation of mediacoder thru wine and it did finish! However the same error appeared as above when I ran the .exe:

:~/Downloads$ wine MediaCoder-0.6.0-pre7.exe 
fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "MediaCoder 0.6.0" of other process window (nil) should not use SendMessage
fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "MediaCoder 0.6.0" of other process window (nil) should not use SendMessage
fixme:shell:SHAutoComplete SHAutoComplete stub
fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "Execute: \"Z:\\home\\nelas\\Programas\\MediaCoder\\mediacoder.exe\"" of other process window 0x50048 should not use SendMessage
fixme:actctx:FindActCtxSectionStringW 00000000 (null) 2 L"msvcr80.dll" 0x347adc
fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "Delete file: C:\\windows\\temp\\nsx253.tmp\\ioSpecial.ini" of other process window 0x50048 should not use SendMessage
fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "Delete file: C:\\windows\\temp\\nsx253.tmp\\modern-wizard.bmp" of other process window 0x50048 should not use SendMessage
fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "Delete file: C:\\windows\\temp\\nsx253.tmp\\System.dll" of other process window 0x50048 should not use SendMessage
fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "Delete file: C:\\windows\\temp\\nsx253.tmp\\LangDLL.dll" of other process window 0x50048 should not use SendMessage
fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "Delete file: C:\\windows\\temp\\nsx253.tmp\\modern-header.bmp" of other process window 0x50048 should not use SendMessage
fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "Delete file: C:\\windows\\temp\\nsx253.tmp\\InstallOptions.dll" of other process window 0x50048 should not use SendMessage
fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "Remove folder: C:\\windows\\temp\\nsx253.tmp\\" of other process window 0x50048 should not use SendMessage
The error I get is a pop-up saying:
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program: Z:\home\nelas\Programas\MediaCoder\mediacoder.exe
R6034
An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime incorrectly.
I don't know how to tell mediacoder that firefox has been assigned to Z:/usr... as stated in the wiki

Looks like the fake drive_c has not been created, since it may recognize my win partition... so I can't install mediacoder to wine's fake folder... :-( I think...

Any hint on how to do it?!

Cheers! MediaCoder is awesome, I use it a lot!

Bruno
organelas.com

996tt
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Failed on ubuntu

Post by 996tt » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:34 am

guest wrote:Hello!

I'm trying to run MediaCoder on ubuntu (6.10), thru wine but got no success. Since I'm a newbie with linux this might be the problem... :-)

So, I have a dual boot with winxp and ubuntu, and mediacoder is installed on WinXP. I tried to access mediacoder.exe thru wine but got:

/media/sda1/Program Files/MediaCoder$ wine mediacoder.exe
fixme:actctx:FindActCtxSectionStringW 00000000 (null) 2 L"msvcr80.dll" 0x337adc
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk "MSVCR80.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\media\\sda1\\Program Files\\MediaCoder\\mediacoder.exe" failed, status c0000142
Then I tried to run the installation of mediacoder thru wine and it did finish! However the same error appeared as above when I ran the .exe:

:~/Downloads$ wine MediaCoder-0.6.0-pre7.exe 
fixme:shell:SHAutoComplete SHAutoComplete stub
fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "Execute: "Z:\\home\\nelas\\Programas\\MediaCoder\\mediacoder.exe"" of other process window 0x50048 should not use SendMessage
fixme:actctx:FindActCtxSectionStringW 00000000 (null) 2 L"msvcr80.dll" 0x347adc
fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "Delete file: C:\\windows\\temp\\nsx253.tmp\\ioSpecial.ini" of other process window 0x50048 should not use SendMessage
fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "Delete file: C:\\windows\\temp\\nsx253.tmp\\modern-wizard.bmp" of other process window 0x50048 should not use SendMessage
fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "Delete file: C:\\windows\\temp\\nsx253.tmp\\System.dll" of other process window 0x50048 should not use SendMessage
fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "Delete file: C:\\windows\\temp\\nsx253.tmp\\LangDLL.dll" of other process window 0x50048 should not use SendMessage
fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "Delete file: C:\\windows\\temp\\nsx253.tmp\\modern-header.bmp" of other process window 0x50048 should not use SendMessage
fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "Delete file: C:\\windows\\temp\\nsx253.tmp\\InstallOptions.dll" of other process window 0x50048 should not use SendMessage
fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "Remove folder: C:\\windows\\temp\\nsx253.tmp\" of other process window 0x50048 should not use SendMessage
The error I get is a pop-up saying:
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program: Z:\home\nelas\Programas\MediaCoder\mediacoder.exe
R6034
An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime incorrectly.
I don't know how to tell mediacoder that firefox has been assigned to Z:/usr... as stated in the wiki

Looks like the fake drive_c has not been created, since it may recognize my win partition... so I can't install mediacoder to wine's fake folder... :-( I think...

Any hint on how to do it?!

Cheers! MediaCoder is awesome, I use it a lot!

Bruno
organelas.com
Hey dude, I'm guessing you didnt install the windows version of firefox into ubuntu using wine before trying to install mediacoder? you need to do that. also, the shortcut you're using doesn't look right. I posted where the fake C drive goes in one of my previous posts.

touche
Amateur
Amateur

Post by touche » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:27 am

I have Firefox on Windows and on openSUSE. I'd rather not install it a third time. Can someone give more details on the Wiki? "Tell MediaCoder?" I have a link to a shell script at

/usr/bin/firefox

The target is

/usr/lib/firefox/firefox.sh

and an executable at

/usr/lib/firefox/firefox-bin

How would I point MediaCoder to this?

hum...

Post by guest » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:05 am

Hey dude, I'm guessing you didnt install the windows version of firefox into ubuntu using wine before trying to install mediacoder? you need to do that. also, the shortcut you're using doesn't look right. I posted where the fake C drive goes in one of my previous posts.
So, as I outlined in my email, according to wine documentation, if I have windows installed on my system a fake c is not created on linux filesystem. I don know how true is this, because there is no direct info about it, but apparently thats the way it works.

I have no idea on how to create a fake c, or if it is necessary, since my .exe files are all on the "real" c.

maybe the whole problem is pointing MC to firefox... as touche posted.
How would I point MediaCoder to this?

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:38 am

In latest 0.6.0, there is a dialog to set this path.